Student visa requirements in Canada

The Canadian Government provides an opportunity to all Indian students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). Know all about it!

Student Visa
The Canadian Government provides an opportunity to Indian students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

What is a study permit?
This is not a visa, it’s a permit or a document issued by the Citizen and Immigration (CIC) which allows you to study in Canada. If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your course.

Your study permit is always accompanied along with a visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). Please note that a study permit is a document that allows you to study in Canada while a visitor visa or ETA allows you to enter Canada. Your counsellor will help you access the latest information and connect you with authorised migration experts.

Documents required for your study permit
To apply for your study permit, you will need:

    1.  An acceptance letter from your education institution, and
    2.  A valid passport or travel document
    3. Proof that you can support yourself or any family members who might accompany you, while you’re in Canada


Check the minimum funds that need to be reflected in your bank account as an international student

You must also:

    1. Prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
        1. Tuition fees
        2. Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and
        3. Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
    2.  Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of  Canada (you may have to provide a police certificate)
    3. Be in good health (you may need to complete a medical exam)


You will also be required to appear for a personal interview at the Canadian embassy or consulate.

To prove you can financially support yourself and any accompanying family members, you may be asked to provide:

    1. Documentation of a Canadian bank account in your name, if money has been transferred to Canada
    2. Documentation of a student/education loan from a financial institution
    3. Bank statements
    4. A bank draft in convertible currency
    5. Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
    6. A letter for the person or institution providing your funding
    7.  Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program


Student Direct Stream

Indian students applying to universities and colleges in Canada can now expect faster visa processing through the Study Direct Stream (SDS) program launched by the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. Unlike the usual visa processing that may take up to 2-3 months, SDS allows students from India to avail their visa in 4-6 weeks. However, if you choose to apply through SDS, you may need certain additional documents.

Know more about SDS.

Working part-time while studying can be a great way ease your finances and also gain some valuable work experience in your field of study. As an international student in Canada, you can work along with your studies, provided you:

1. have a verified study permit and are a full-time student

2. are studying for either a degree, diploma or certificate course
3. have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Given these, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

For students, employment can be on-campus and off-campus. On-campus means being a working resource on your college/university campus itself. You can work on-campus without a work permit if you have a valid study permit, or are a full-time student at:

    1. A public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a college d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
    2. A private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 per cent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify)
    3. A Canadian private institution authorised by provincial statute to confer degrees.