Employment Prospects in Canada

Want to work while you’re in Canada? Here’s how.

Some options for working on-campus are:

• Research Assistant or Teaching staff (depends on research grants)
• In student organisations to uplift segments like sports, entertainment, etc.
• In library or a hospital
• Be self-employed or start a private business, including taking up a contract to provide on-campus services

Off-campus implies an area outside of your campus premises. For this you can consider:

      1. Paid Work
      2. Tutoring
      3. Internships
      4. Volunteering

To be able to work in Canada once you’ve completed your studies, you’ll need to have a work permit first. One of the most widely accepted is the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PWPP).

PWPP work permits are valid for the same length of time of your initial study program (up to a maximum of three years) and let you work in any occupation, as well as change employers at any time. To be eligible for PWPP, you must have graduated from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI). Since not all programs from DLIs fulfil the eligibility criterion, do check beforehand if your institution falls in the list. Also, remember to apply for the PWPP within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you’ve completed your academic program.

While you are waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application, make sure that you meet all of the criteria:

1. You are a holder of a valid study permit when you make an application for the post-graduation work permit
2. You were a full-time student who was enrolled in a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program
3. You were authorised to work off-campus without a work permit
4. You did not exceed the permitted hours of work